Paul Pelosi released from hospital after last week’s home attack

Paul Pelosi released from hospital after last week’s home attack

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband Paul has been released from a San Francisco hospital after he was attacked at his home last week, she announced Thursday.

Driving the news: Paul Pelosi underwent surgery to repair a skull fracture and serious injuries to his right arm and hands after the attack, per the House Speaker’s office.

“The Pelosi family is thankful for the beautiful outpouring of love, support and prayers from around the world,” the California Democrat said in a statement.“Paul remains under doctors’ care as he continues to progress on a long recovery process and convalescence.  He is now home surrounded by his family who request privacy.”CNN first reported on Pelosi’s release.Details: The alleged assailant, David Wayne DePape, 42, was charged by the state of California with attempted murder, burglary and elder abuse, while the Department of Justice charged him with assault of an immediate family member of a U.S. official and attempted kidnapping of a U.S. official.

He pleaded not guilty to the state’s charges earlier this week. Before attacking Paul Pelosi, 82, with a hammer in front of police officers, DePape demanded to know the location of Nancy Pelosi, who was not in San Francisco at the time of the attack.

The Department of Homeland Security said this week that DePape, a Canadian citizen, was in the U.S. illegally after entering the country through the California-Mexico border in March 2008. DePape also allegedly made racist remarks and promoted QAnon-related conspiracy theories online.The big picture: The attack came amid an uptick in threats against members of Congress and a series of security incidents earlier this year.

Capitol Police are reviewing the attack and considering additional security measures to further protect lawmakers and their family members.U.S. Capitol Police Chief Thomas Manger on Tuesday called for more resources to increase security around members of Congress, and congressional leadership in particular. The department said Wednesday it was not monitoring the camera feed of the Pelosi home at the time of the attack, as the speaker was with her security detail in Washington, D.C.Editor’s note: This story has been updated with additional details throughout.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *